ADVANCED STRIKING VS SOUTHPAWS Breakdown
I don’t think I’ve ever made it much of a secret that a prime Roy Jones Jr is akin to a prime Michael Jordan or at least in the conversation, within the frame of my lifetime (I didn’t grow up with Ali, but older generations aren’t as fond, for example).
What Roy did that very few strikers in any combat sport are doing, so well, is to “box the fighter” and “fight the boxer”, although the latter usually was more of a measurement of opening up an overly defensive pugilist. I’ve also included an MMA “current event” where it appears, or at least in the analysis I’ve had to snore through, people missed the egg hatching the chicken. It’s topical for the video.
So as skilled as Stylebender is, for example, if I’m being fair he lost his imagination vs. Yoel Romero. Whether or not I understand why his output was sub-par it just was and plain to see. This never happened with Roy Jones, ever.
The reason this is advanced rather than just the same old tips, is because of 1) the practitioner and 2) the unconventional nature of it all. Without giving too much away I’ll write some radical rules for simplicity’s sake below.
BD’s Traditional (Orthodox) vs. Southpaw (Left-Hand Leading) musings:
1. While Lead hand dominance can help both, the southpaw will jab more conventionally.
2. Both fighters best punches are 2’s and 3’s, even to lead off.
3. Vying for outside, lead foot position is optimal but can be manipulated with great efficacy.
4. Other punches like 4’s and 6’s are arguably safer in the open stance, and varietal hooks and lead 2’s are the promise land.
(w/ kicking and / or takedowns involved)
5. 10’s (rear leg kick middle – high) are open often, but if missed vs. a better grappler, can be dangerous.
6. 8’s (rear leg kick – low) are similarly effective but risky, and add in an easier check that can break shins…..
7. 7’s are great if you have the agility to offset, or break centerline swiftly. One effective way is off the 2. Using a hop/semi-switch kick outside. Also off the clinch, and advanced would be behind the arching 3 high.
Music: howl. –
- Rush [Bass Rebels Release] YouTube Twitch Music No Copyright 2020 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3bRaU8IRUA
- Ronald Jenkees – Speaker 1, Speaker 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N1OFYkAqmg
- Ronald Jenkees Made with Fire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhgPVOrKEhY
- Ronald Jenkees – Echo Out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpWYExUWw68
- (Lastly) BH – Holding On [NCS Release] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hxGuyfAErQ
#RoyJones #Advanced #Boxing
The 413 Striking Index: https://youtu.be/je6I1RbhTy8
You can all help a lot with very little at my new Patreon page:
Also, check out my new merch…..YouTube made me do it……. 😉